As voters continue to cast ballots in Illinois, a key part of the state's financial picture is being decided. A constitutional amendment that would swap Illinois' flat income tax for a graduated tax, with a different rate for higher earners, is seen as a way to shore up Illinois' budget. But how much would it help the state? And what happens if the proposal fails? We'll have a discussion.
We'll hear about the brief time Illinois had a graduated tax and why that changed.
Also, a reporting investigation has uncovered more details about COVID-19 outbreaks in Illinois - where they've occurred and some of the reasons why.
That and more on this week's Statewide.
* Dana Cronin with Harvest Public Media explains the risks of COVID-19 on migrant farmworkers in Illinois.
* Sean Crawford talks with reporter Dan Vock, who examined the financial implications of the graduated income tax proposal - whatever the outcome.
* Charlie Wheeler tells us about the time when Illinois had a graduated tax and why it went away.
* Tim Shelley visits with Sara Sefried of the Center for Prevention of Abuse about efforts to curb human trafficking in central Illinois and help victims.
* Yvonne Boose of WNIJ reports complex factors complicate county level COVID-19 prevention.
* Hannah Meisel speaks with Sky Chadde, with the Midwest Center for Investigative Reporting, about their findings that show undisclosed incidents of COVID-19 at facilities like prisons, businesses, schools, meatpacking plants and more.
Statewide for the week of October 16, 2020Listen to Statewide across Illinois in:
- Bloomington/Normal – WGLT 89.1 (Fridays 11 a.m. - Noon, Sundays 6-7 a.m.)
- Carbondale – WSIU 91.9 (Fridays 2-3 p.m. and Sundays 6-7 a.m.)
- Mount Vernon - WVSI 88.9 (Fridays 2-3 p.m. and Sundays 6-7 a.m.)
- Olney - WUSI 90.3 (Fridays 2-3 p.m. and Sundays 6-7 a.m.)
- Rockford/DeKalb – WNIJ 89.5 (Saturdays 6-7 a.m., Sundays 2-3 p.m.)
- Springfield/Decatur - WUIS 91.9 (Fridays 11 a.m. - Noon, 11 p.m. - Midnight, Saturdays 9-10 a.m.)
- Peoria – WCBU 89.9 (Fridays 11a.m. -12 noon, Sundays 6-7 a.m.)
- Pittsfield - WIPA 89.3 (Fridays 11 a.m. - Noon, 11 p.m. - Midnight, Saturdays 9-10 a.m.)
- Quad Cities - WVIK HD2 (Sundays 11 a.m. - 12 noon)
- Urbana/Champaign – WILL 580 (Fridays 11 a.m. - Noon, 7-8 p.m.)
Copyright 2020 NPR Illinois | 91.9 UIS