Employment & Internships
Northern Public Radio is the source for NPR news and information in Rockford, DeKalb, Sterling, LaSalle, and Freeport. We serve communities throughout northern Illinois and southern Wisconsin. Flagship station WNIJ is home to a 10-person newsroom with beats ranging from education and community policing to arts, culture, and spiritual expression. Sister station WNIU is the area’s only 24-hour classical music station.
Northern Public Radio is part of numerous journalism collaborations with Report for America, America Amplified, Illinois Public Radio and Corporation for Public Broadcasting. The stations are licensed to and broadcast from the campus of Northern Illinois University.
Part-time Marketing and Communications Coordinator
This part-time position will work across WNIJ / WNIU departments to create and execute marketing and communications plans designed to engage, inform, and grow audiences.
The coordinator will promote WNIJ/WNIU journalism, programs, podcasts, projects, events and fundraising activities by developing and distributing communication pieces for across station and community platforms.
The coordinator works with content, membership, and creative teams to serve email newsletter audiences, build exciting newsletter offerings, and explore new ways to connect users to station programming and projects.
- Maintain and administer the station-wide marketing calendar and projects list, escalate scheduling conflicts as necessary;
- Actively works to analyze email campaigns and grow email lists;
- Produce email newsletters—copywrite, edit, proofread, target and send;
- Collaborate with fundraising, engagement and content teams to align overall email strategy with goals;
- Prepare promotional and marketing plans and assets for station projects, including: podcasts, programs, events, fundraising and sponsorship opportunities;
- Support audience and member engagement campaigns (live and virtual) including event management and coordination of vendors, partners, etc.
- Supports community sponsorships by producing and managing deliverables such as program advertising, asset management and communication with partners;
- Assist with creating ad copy for print and digital campaigns;
- Bachelor’s degree in Marketing or other closely relatable field OR a minimum of two (2) or more years’ direct and sustained professional marketing experience AND/OR a satisfactory equivalent combination of education, training, and experience;
- Significant experience using e-marketing tools, social media platforms and Microsoft office suite;
- Ability to write compelling promotional copy across platforms, as evidenced by professional samples;
Our ideal candidate will be detail-oriented with a good eye for visual design, in digital and print spaces. Must be creative, able to work independently and alongside teams to brainstorm inventive ways to promote station properties. Must be a strong communicator who embraces new and traditional media. A commitment to accuracy, meticulous attention to detail with a proven ability to consistently produce high quality copy.
Interested candidates should submit their resumes and writing samples to firstname.lastname@example.org