Employment & Internships
Northern Public Radio is the source for NPR news and information in Rockford, DeKalb, Sterling, LaSalle, and Freeport. We serve communities throughout northern Illinois and southern Wisconsin. Flagship station WNIJ is home to a 10-person newsroom with beats ranging from education and community policing to arts, culture, and spiritual expression. Sister station WNIU is the area’s only 24-hour classical music station.
Northern Public Radio is part of numerous journalism collaborations with Report for America, America Amplified, Illinois Public Radio and Corporation for Public Broadcasting. The stations are licensed to and broadcast from the campus of Northern Illinois University.
Corporate Support Account Executive
(Deadline February 1st)
The role of the Corporate Account Executive is to solicit and obtain contributions from businesses, organizations, and foundations in support of Northern Public Radio through sponsorships and underwriting for broadcast and digital media and live events.
Functional Summary: Corporate Account Executive is responsible for developing and maintaining a portfolio that meets or exceeds individual fundraising goals.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Actively promote sponsorship and underwriting support for the station throughout the broadcast region; Represent the station at meetings and events. Develop presentations to large and small groups in support of revenue objectives.
- Build and maintain strong relationships with existing portfolio of accounts. Manage sales and service for clients and/or their advertising/public relations agencies to achieve business support revenue goals.
- Consult with clients to develop proposals and non-broadcast opportunities for support. Discover and interpret prospects’ business objectives, mission, values and marketing and community relations activities, goals and priorities.
- Analyze and interpret public radio audiences and market research to seek funding from varied and appropriate sources.
- Actively cold call and develop new clients through direct contact with prospects and through networking activities.
- Follow station and FCC guidelines regarding copy approval, deadlines, receivables and collections. Undergo training as needed. Represent Northern Public Radio in a way consistent with its standards and mission/values. Build and maintain positive working relationships with staff, departments and volunteers.
- Perform other duties as assigned including enthusiastically participating in station fundraising and engagement activities and adapting to people, ideas, procedures, and organizational structures, in order to accommodate an evolving work environment.
MINIMUM REQUIREMENT QUALIFICATIONS
- Bachelor’s degree
- 2-3 years’ experience in sales
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Demonstrated skill in sales, cold calling, client cultivation and business development
- Excellent communications skills including ability to write and edit business communications, proposals and crafting sponsor credits that comply with FCC and station guidelines
- Ability to organize and prioritize work
- Computer literacy with Microsoft Office Suite
- Must understand and apply marketing communications and sales promotion strategy
- Familiarity with and appreciation for public radio programming and value
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Understanding of broadcast, digital or other media advertising opportunities
(Deadline February 15th)
We are looking for an enthusiastic production specialist who is excited about creating platform-specific news experiences for the launch of WNIJ’s Spanish language programming. The successful candidate will employ audio editing and use of the WNIJ content management system to populate a portal which includes a variety of content our team gathers through our community listening tools and engagement.
You will work with a team of journalists and other media professionals who are passionate about creating journalism that informs, enriches and inspires our local community.
The hours are flexible and based on the flow of content coming in and in coordination with the Engagement Coordinator and News Director. (Up to 25 hours per week) This job is located in DeKalb, Illinois but can be done remotely.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Updating wnij.org and social media platforms
- Audio Editing recorded essays
- Proofing copy
- Creating newsletters on email and WhatsApp platforms (preferred)
- Involvement in planning successful live events with the community
- Fluency in Spanish
- Audio editing skills in non-linear editing
- Ability to work independently under tight deadlines
- Excellent attention to detail
- Experience working with content management systems
- Excellent project management skills
- Experience promoting content and engaging audiences through social and other online platforms
Interested candidates should submit resumes to firstname.lastname@example.org