Statewide: Aurora, One Year After A Mass Shooting
As the northern Illinois community of Aurora marks the one year anniversary of a deadly workplace shooting at the Henry Pratt Company, we find out how the city is remembering the lives lost that day.
The gunman in that shooting had his firearm license revoked years earlier, but his weapons were never confiscated. That has put more focus on getting guns away from individuals who are prohibited from having them. We have a report.
And we hear the perspectives of two law enforcement officials, from much different communities. That and more on this episode of Statewide.
This week's lineup:
* Peter Medlin of WNIJ talks with officials about what it takes to prepare for a presidential election.
* Hear the perspectives of law enforcement from two different parts of Illinois, the city of Rockford and Pope County in southern Illinois.
* Maureen McKinney examines the effort to bring paid family leave to Illinois.
* Lee Gaines of Illinois Newsroom finds some prisoners stay on waiting lists for years to take education classes and learn a trade. We'll hear what can be done to solve that problem.
* Director of the University of Illinois Cancer Center Rohit Bhargava speaks with Christine Herman about a new technique to improve cancer diagnosis.
* Mary Hansen tells us about the late philanthropist Julius Rosenwald and an effort to honor his legacy.
* NPR's Cheryl Corley reports from Aurora on a controversy involving a sex offender treatment program that local officials say it too close to a city park.
* WBEZ's Michael Puente visits Aurora, as the town approaches the one year anniversary of a workplace shooting that resulted in the deaths of five employees, the gunman and the wounding of five police officers. He learns how the town is still coping with the tragedy.
* Patrick Smith of WBEZ examines attempts to change Illinois law in the aftermath of the Aurora shooting.
Statewide for the week of February 14, 2020Listen to Statewide across Illinois in:
- Bloomington/Normal – WGLT 89.1 (Fridays 11 a.m. - Noon, Sundays 6-7 a.m.)
- Carbondale – WSIU 91.9 (Fridays 2-3 p.m. and Sundays 6-7 a.m.)
- Mount Vernon - WVSI 88.9 (Fridays 2-3 p.m. and Sundays 6-7 a.m.)
- Olney - WUSI 90.3 (Fridays 2-3 p.m. and Sundays 6-7 a.m.)
- Rockford/DeKalb – WNIJ 89.5 (Saturdays 6-7 a.m., Sundays 6-7 p.m.)
- Springfield/Decatur - WUIS 91.9 (Fridays 11 a.m. - Noon, 11 p.m. - Midnight, Saturdays 9-10 a.m.)
- Peoria – WCBU 89.9 (Fridays 6-7 p.m., Sundays 6-7 a.m.)
- Pittsfield - WIPA 89.3 (Fridays 11 a.m. - Noon, 11 p.m. - Midnight, Saturdays 9-10 a.m.)
- Urbana/Champaign – WILL 580 (Fridays 11 a.m. - Noon, 7-8 p.m.)
Copyright 2020 NPR Illinois | 91.9 UIS