Statewide: Problems At The Thompson Center; The Story Of The Radium Girls
More than 2,000 state employees report to work at the James R. Thompson Center in Chicago's Loop. But the building, constructed in the early 1980's, has a host of problems. Repairs will be costly. The State of Illinois is moving forward in an effort to sell the facility, which some say is an architectural gem. We look at the pros and cons of the Thompson Center on this epsiode.
Also, the tragic story of young women who suffered radiation poisoning working at an Illinois factory. That and more on Statewide.
This week's lineup:
* Carrie Shepherd of WBEZ finds out the problems facing the James R. Thompson Center in Chicago. The state is considering selling the building, which needs repairs estimated at more than $300 million.* Mary Hansen talks with writer Tara McClellan McAndrew about the Radium Girls, who suffered radiation poisoning working at a factory in Ottawa.
* Sean Crawford interviews Eureka College President Dr. Jamel Wright and Shellie Schwanke, Director of the school's Ronald Reagan Society, as we observe the 30th anniversary of the Berlin Wall coming down. The college is one of only two locations in the state where a portion of the wall is on public display.
* Daisy Contreras profiles lobbyist Anita Bedell, who has fought gambling expansion in Illinois for 25 years.
* Commentator Ann Knowles tells us her personal routine for Veteran's Day.
* Christina Stella of Harvest Public Media reports on challenges meeting mental health needs in rural areas.
* Breanna Grow of WGLT explains how the city of Peoria created a re-housing program to combat homelessness.
* WGLT's Charlie Schlenker tells us the issue of segregation in many Illinois cities won't be easy to change.
* Peter Medlin of WNIJ reports on a law designed to address the teacher shortage that is making it harder for paraprofessionals to get licensed.
Statewide for week of November 8, 2019
Listen to Statewide across Illinois in:
- Bloomington/Normal – WGLT 89.1 (Fridays 11 a.m. - Noon, Sundays 6 a.m.-7 a.m.)
- Carbondale – WSIU 91.9 (Fridays 2-3 p.m. and Sundays 6-7 a.m.)
- Mount Vernon - WVSI 88.9 (Fridays 2-3 p.m. and Sundays 6-7 a.m.)
- Olney - WUSI 90.3 (Fridays 2-3 p.m. and Sundays 6-7 a.m.)
- Rockford/DeKalb – WNIJ 89.5 (Saturdays 6-7 a.m., Sundays 6-7 p.m.)
- Springfield/Decatur - WUIS 91.9 (Fridays 11 a.m. - Noon, 11 p.m. - Midnight, Saturdays 9-10 a.m.)
- Peoria – WCBU 89.9 (Fridays 6-7 p.m., Sundays 6-7 a.m.)
- Pittsfield - WIPA 89.3 (Fridays 11 a.m. - Noon, 11 p.m. - Midnight, Saturdays 9-10 a.m.)
- Urbana/Champaign – WILL 580 (Fridays 11 a.m. - Noon, 7-8 p.m.)
Copyright 2019 NPR Illinois | 91.9 UIS