Chicago Expands Body Camera Program After Dashcam Video Release
Chicago is expanding a program to provide body cameras to police officers.
The announcement Sunday from Mayor Rahm Emanuel's office follows the release last week of a squad-car video showing an officer fatally shooting teenager Laquan McDonald. The officer wasn't wearing a body camera.
The city will expand the program into six more police districts next year. Emanuel says in a statement that the expansion into one-third of the city will “strengthen the fabric of trust” between officers and residents.
The statement doesn't mention McDonald or demonstrations in recent days calling for police reforms.
Chicago's pilot body-camera program began in January. Thirty cameras are being tested.
Sunday's statement says the expansion will be paid for with a $1.1 million federal grant and matching city funds.