The coronavirus disease can lead to physical problems. But emotional ones as well. On this episode, we hear from those who have contracted COVID-19 and what they've experienced.
Learning more about Emmett Till, from his cousin who grew up around him.
And beer that tastes like southern Illinois. That and more on this week's Statewide.
* Melba Lara of WBEZ speaks with Ollie Gordon, a cousin of Emmett Till, who was beaten and lynchecd in Mississippi 65 years ago. She talks about the young man she knew.
* Jonathon Ahl of Harvest Public Media tells us how more farmers are turning to solar power.
* Michelle O'Neill with WVIK reports on an underground, high power transmission line that will stretch from Iowa across northern Illinois.
* St. Louis Public Radio's Shahla Farzan visits a southern Illinois microbrewery creating unique beers with local ingredients.
* WGLT's Ryan Denham talks with a Blomington father who contracted COVID-19 and the emotional toll it has taken on him.
* Tim Shelley with WCBU interviews Dr. Tom Luft of Pekin, who also contracted COVID-19. He explains what he wants people to learn from his experience.
* Christine Herman of Side Effects Public Media has a report on an Illinois woman who was the first in the country to receive a double lung transplant after being diagnosed with COVID-19.
* WNIJ's Peter Medlin checks in with some parents to see how remote learning for their children is going so far this school year.
* Sean Crawford sits down with University of Illinois Springfield professor Kenneth Kriz to discuss tax increment financing and how it's used in Illinois.
* Yvonne Boose of WNIJ reports on a controversy that arose in Aurora and the city's council's solution.
Statewide for the week of September 4, 2020Listen to Statewide across Illinois in:
- Bloomington/Normal – WGLT 89.1 (Fridays 11 a.m. - Noon, Sundays 6-7 a.m.)
- Carbondale – WSIU 91.9 (Fridays 2-3 p.m. and Sundays 6-7 a.m.)
- Mount Vernon - WVSI 88.9 (Fridays 2-3 p.m. and Sundays 6-7 a.m.)
- Olney - WUSI 90.3 (Fridays 2-3 p.m. and Sundays 6-7 a.m.)
- Rockford/DeKalb – WNIJ 89.5 (Saturdays 6-7 a.m., Sundays 2-3 p.m.)
- Springfield/Decatur - WUIS 91.9 (Fridays 11 a.m. - Noon, 11 p.m. - Midnight, Saturdays 9-10 a.m.)
- Peoria – WCBU 89.9 (Fridays 11a.m. -12 noon, Sundays 6-7 a.m.)
- Pittsfield - WIPA 89.3 (Fridays 11 a.m. - Noon, 11 p.m. - Midnight, Saturdays 9-10 a.m.)
- Quad Cities - WVIK HD2 (Sundays 11 a.m. - 12 noon)
- Urbana/Champaign – WILL 580 (Fridays 11 a.m. - Noon, 7-8 p.m.)
Copyright 2020 NPR Illinois | 91.9 UIS