Statewide: College Towns And The Coronavirus
On this week's episode, we examine the economic blow of students leaving college towns and the health risks associated with their planned return.
This week's lineup:
* Kate McGee of WBEZ talks with Mary Dixon about what campus life will be like for college students this fall.
* Sean Crawford interviews New York Times correspondent Shawn Hubler about the economic effects of COVID-19 in college towns.
* Dr. Sheldon Jacobson, a professor at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, discusses his concerns over the safety of students, staff and communities when college students come back to campus.
* Lee Gaines of Illinois Newsroom talks with Robin Fretwell Wilson and Sage Kim, co-authors of a report for the Institute of Government and Public Affairs that examines how the Illinois Department of Corrections is handling the pandemic.
* Chase Cavanaugh of WNIJ tells us about libraries reopening, while still working to expand online services.
* Carrie Shepherd of WBEX introduces us to Anthony McGill, a Chicago area native who is principal clarinetist for the New York Philharmonic, who has sparked other musicians to use their art as a form of protest.
* Claire Hartfield, author of A Few Red Drops, talks about her book that chronicles a deadly race riot in Chicago in 1919.
Statewide for the week of July 10, 2020Listen to Statewide across Illinois in:
- Bloomington/Normal – WGLT 89.1 (Fridays 11 a.m. - Noon, Sundays 6-7 a.m.)
- Carbondale – WSIU 91.9 (Fridays 2-3 p.m. and Sundays 6-7 a.m.)
- Mount Vernon - WVSI 88.9 (Fridays 2-3 p.m. and Sundays 6-7 a.m.)
- Olney - WUSI 90.3 (Fridays 2-3 p.m. and Sundays 6-7 a.m.)
- Rockford/DeKalb – WNIJ 89.5 (Saturdays 6-7 a.m., Sundays 6-7 p.m.)
- Springfield/Decatur - WUIS 91.9 (Fridays 11 a.m. - Noon, 11 p.m. - Midnight, Saturdays 9-10 a.m.)
- Peoria – WCBU 89.9 (Fridays 11a.m. -12 noon, Sundays 6-7 a.m.)
- Pittsfield - WIPA 89.3 (Fridays 11 a.m. - Noon, 11 p.m. - Midnight, Saturdays 9-10 a.m.)
- Quad Cities - WVIK HD2 (Sundays 11 a.m. - 12 noon)
- Urbana/Champaign – WILL 580 (Fridays 11 a.m. - Noon, 7-8 p.m.)
Copyright 2020 NPR Illinois | 91.9 UIS