Statewide: Illinois Issues Survey; National Marijuana Advocates Say Illinois' Law Is A Game Changer
Gov. J.B. Pritzker's approval rating is strong in the latest Illinois Issues survey, conducted last month involving registered voters from across the state. While more people see the state making progress, a majority of those responding still say the state is going in the wrong direction. We'll break down the findings.
Also, a national marijuana advocacy group sees Illinois' recreational cannabis law as a big win - not just for the cause in Illinois, but across the country.
And, a new report has recommendations for keeping teachers of color in the classroom.
This week's lineup:
* Sean Crawford speaks with NPR Illinois' Statehouse Editor Brian Mackey about results from the latest Illinois Issues survey. The statewide poll finds support for Gov. J.B. Pritzker, but many are still cynical about the future of Illinois.
* Dusty Rhodes finds out some suggestions for Black and Latinx teachers to stay in the profession.
* Dave McKinney of WBEZ has an investigation into the next Chief Justice of Illinois' Supreme Court Anne Burke. He uncovers several cases Burke has heard on the court that involved clients of her husband's law firm.
* Daisy Contreras talks with Julie Becker of "Helping the Homeless in Springfield, Illinois", a ministry that works with the city's homeless population. Plans for a new shelter and medical clinic have ended.
* Christina Stella of Harvest Public Media reports on efforts to improve women's health care in rural farming areas.
* Sean Crawford talks with Karen O'Keefe of the Marijuana Policy Project about Illinois' new law legalizing recreational use and how it's viewed nationally.
* A report from Minnesota where a Washington Post reporter, who once dissed a community, has now made it his home.
Statewide for the week of October 11, 2019Listen to Statewide across Illinois:
- Bloomington/Normal – WGLT 89.1 (Fridays 11 a.m. - Noon)
- Carbondale – WSIU 91.9 (Fridays 2-3 p.m. / Sundays 6-7 a.m.)
- Mount Vernon - WVSI 88.9 (Fridays 2-3 p.m. / Sundays 6-7 a.m.)
- Olney - WUSI 90.3 (Fridays 2-3 p.m. / Sundays 6-7 a.m.)
- Rockford/DeKalb – WNIJ 89.5 (Saturdays 6-7 a.m. / Sundays 6-7 p.m.)
- Springfield/Decatur - WUIS 91.9 (Fridays 11 a.m. - Noon and 11 p.m. - Midnight / Saturdays 9-10 a.m.)
- Peoria – WCBU 89.9 (Fridays 6-7 p.m.)
- Pittsfield - WIPA 89.3 (Fridays 11 a.m. - Noon and 11 p.m. - Midnight / Saturdays 9-10 a.m.)
- Urbana/Champaign – WILL 580 (Fridays 11 a.m. - Noon and 7-8 p.m.)
Copyright 2019 NPR Illinois | 91.9 UIS