The STEM Read Podcast: Inquiry with Zack Gilbert and M.T. Anderson
Episode 3: Inquiry with Zack Gilbert and M.T. Anderson
Students and sci-fi authors tend to question everything, but not all educators are ready to bring inquiry into their classrooms. Until recently, it has been the stuff of science labs. Now there is a push to embrace essential questions across the curriculum.
This week, Gillian and Kristin interview social studies teacher and fellow podcaster Zack Gilbert (http://edgamer.net/) and award-winning author M.T. Anderson (http://mt-anderson.com/) to learn how to use inquiry to explore history, understand culture, and question the very nature of current and future societies. Zack will tell us why he thinks the scientific method is garbage and M.T. Anderson will talk about how he turns his anxieties about society and technology into the plots of his great satirical novels like Feed and his most recent book Landscape with Invisible Hand (Candlewick Press).
Northern Illinois University’s STEM Read is part of the NIU STEAM family of programs that explore science, technology, engineering, the arts, and math. Find more great books, lesson plans, and resources at stemread.com.
The STEM Read Podcast is produced in collaboration with WNIJ.
Notes & External Links
- What is FLO Learning?
- Learn more about National Geographic’s Geo Inquiry Process!
- “Social Studies gives meaning and context to everything we do as humans.” Wallpaper
- “Science helps you clone the dinosaur and humanities helps you ask if you should.” Wallpaper
- Moonmin by Tove Jansson
- Here’s a quick breakdown of Colonization in Ray Bradbury’s The Martian Chronicles
- Burgerwuss, Feed, and Landscape with Invisible Hand by M.T. Anderson
- https://vimeo.com/166807261">Seeing the World Through Ads, a Hyper-Reality Experience (This video does contain fast flashing lights)
- Is the English Language dying? Check out this year’s Banished Words
- What jobs are at risk for being replaced by technology? What jobs already have been?
- Ray Kurzweils’ Theory on Artificial Intelligence
- AI’s and technology can be intimidating, but most technology is going in a good direction.
- Time Machine and War of the Worlds by H.G. Wells
- An analysis on class in Time Machine
- “We all have to sculpt our lives online like a work of art” Wallpaper
- The Suburb Beyond the Stars by M.T. Anderson
- “People were literally being cocooned in their suburban homes” Wallpaper
- What is the Humble Brag?
- Twin Peaks directed by David Lynch
- Jasper Dash and the Flame-Pits of Delaware by M.T. Anderson
- Circa 2010 Christine “Not a Witch” O’Donnell Ad
- The EARTH orbits the SUN
- Octavian Nothing and Symphony for the City of the Dead by M.T. Anderson
- How Does your Cellphone Work?