Congressional Race: 6th District
Democrat Leslie Coolidge is facing incumbent Republican Peter Roskam. Coolidge, a Harvard educated CPA, says she has the fiscal wherewithal to help make the economy a priority in Washington. Roskam campaigns in a Democrat-drawn district which largely keeps a Republican stronghold of voters. The district includes portions of McHenry and Kane counties.
Roskam's campaign was contacted repeatedly for an interview, but did not respond to WNIJ's request.
Leslie Coolidge says she would like to see investment in research projects such as Fermi Lab. Coolidge is opposed to right-to-work laws, and believes in the right of unions to collectively bargain.
- Coolidge would like to see an overall plan focusing on reducing consumption. She points to the new fuel economy standards as a model for a solution to reducing energy consumption.
- She also would like to see the production tax credit continue.
- Coolidge is supportive of the Obama administration and Secretary of State Hillary Clinton's stances on foreign policy.
- She sees a need to maintain a strong military, but says using those assets should be the "last course of action."
- Roskam has stated the federal government can be competitive with other countries by overhauling its tax code.
- Roskam supports strong sanctions on Iran.
- Coolidge says from a civil perspective, she believes people should have the right to marry who they choose.
- She says it is discriminatory for same-sex couples to be denied the ability to file a joint tax return
- Roskam supports the Defense of Marriage Act as current law.
- Coolidge favors offering women access to contraceptives and education in order to make abortions more rare. Ultimately though, Coolidge says it should be a women's decision with her doctor.
- Roskam opposes abortion.
- Coolidge does not support turning Medicare into a voucher system.
- According to his website,Roskam wants to give people the ability to purchase insurance across state lines and expand the use of Health Savings Accounts (HSAs).