Statewide: COVID-19 And The Homeless
On this episode of Statewide, we examine the worries over how COVID-19 could impact homeless shelters as the weather turns colder. Also, after more than six months in a pandemic, COVID fatigue has set in for many. We'll get some tips for how to deal with the stress.
We'll learn about equine therapy helping veterans facing emotional trouble. And an update on a courthouse, slated for demolition, but mired in a court battle. Those stories and more on this week's Statewide.
* Kristen Schorsch of WBEZ reports people are nervous amid allergies, the flu and the coronavirus.
* Mariah Woelfel looks at renewed health concerns for the homeless with colder weather ahead.
* Tim Shelley of WCBU talks about COVID fatigue with counselor Cody Maddock.
* Brian Moline interviews reporter Lee Gaines of Illinois Newsroom about her investigation that found multiple schools districts fail to keep track of student arrests and referrals to law enforcement.
* Michelle O'Neill of WVIK gives us the latest on the Rock Island County courthouse, which the county wants to tear down, but preservationists are hoping to save.
* Paige Fleger with Side Efffects Public Media reports from Ohio tells why some nursing homes there have been taking in more COVID-19 patients.
* Sean Crawford interviews Sherry Barr, wife of the late Sangamon County Sheriff Wes Barr. She says there were warnign signs before his fatal heart attack a year ago.
* Maureen McKinney tells us about Bravehearts Therapeutic Riding and Educational Center. Equine therapy is being used to help veterans and others dealing with emotional issues.
Statewide for the week of October 2, 2020Listen to Statewide across Illinois in:
- Bloomington/Normal – WGLT 89.1 (Fridays 11 a.m. - Noon, Sundays 6-7 a.m.)
- Carbondale – WSIU 91.9 (Fridays 2-3 p.m. and Sundays 6-7 a.m.)
- Mount Vernon - WVSI 88.9 (Fridays 2-3 p.m. and Sundays 6-7 a.m.)
- Olney - WUSI 90.3 (Fridays 2-3 p.m. and Sundays 6-7 a.m.)
- Rockford/DeKalb – WNIJ 89.5 (Saturdays 6-7 a.m., Sundays 2-3 p.m.)
- Springfield/Decatur - WUIS 91.9 (Fridays 11 a.m. - Noon, 11 p.m. - Midnight, Saturdays 9-10 a.m.)
- Peoria – WCBU 89.9 (Fridays 11a.m. -12 noon, Sundays 6-7 a.m.)
- Pittsfield - WIPA 89.3 (Fridays 11 a.m. - Noon, 11 p.m. - Midnight, Saturdays 9-10 a.m.)
- Quad Cities - WVIK HD2 (Sundays 11 a.m. - 12 noon)
- Urbana/Champaign – WILL 580 (Fridays 11 a.m. - Noon, 7-8 p.m.)
Copyright 2020 NPR Illinois | 91.9 UIS