This week on Statewide, the new Illinois law that will make recreational marijuana legal will create a need for people to work in the industry. We'll explain how some are getting training through a college program.
We'll go to Stateville Correctional Center to learn about inmates making the best of their situation.
And the kudzu vine is a scourge in the southern U.S. Now, it's showing up here in Illinois. But there are individuals who are finding uses for the invasive plant.
That and more on this episode.
* Patrick Smith of WBEZ finds only a small minority of murder cases in Chicago are solved. Even fewer result in convictions. That leaves many families without closure.
* Sam Dunklau reports on the latest numbers from the NPR Illinois/University of Illinois Springfield survey, including views on gun regulations, immigration and the media.
* Dusty Rhodes visits Stateville Correctional Center to learn how some inmates are getting a college degree while behind bars.
* Dana Vollmer interviews the director and producer of the documentary "Stateville Calling", which advocates for changing the state's parole rules.
* Kate McGee with WBEZ takes us to a community college preparing workers for the state's new marijuana industry.
* Peter Medlin with WNIJ tells us about Northern Illinois University's plans to sell presidential property.
* Josephine McRobbie reports on the spread of the kudzu vine and how some are making the best of the situation by finding various uses for the invasive plant.
- Bloomington/Normal – WGLT 89.1 (Fridays 11 a.m. - Noon)
- Carbondale – WSIU 91.9 (Fridays 2-3 p.m. and Sundays 6-7 a.m.)
- Mount Vernon - WVSI 88.9 (Fridays 2-3 p.m. and Sundays 6-7 a.m.)
- Olney - WUSI 90.3 (Fridays 2-3 p.m. and Sundays 6-7 a.m.)
- Rockford/DeKalb – WNIJ 89.5 (Saturdays 6-7 a.m., Sundays 6-7 p.m.)
- Springfield/Decatur - WUIS 91.9 (Fridays 11 a.m. - Noon, 11 p.m. - Midnight, Saturdays 9-10 a.m.)
- Peoria – WCBU 89.9 (Fridays 6-7 p.m.)
- Pittsfield - WIPA 89.3 (Fridays 11 a.m. - Noon, 11 p.m. - Midnight, Saturdays 9-10 a.m.)
- Urbana/Champaign – WILL 580 (Fridays 11 a.m. - Noon, 7-8 p.m.)
Copyright 2019 NPR Illinois | 91.9 UIS. To see more, visit NPR Illinois | 91.9 UIS.