The STEM Read Podcast - Past, Present, And Futurism
In this episode of The STEM Read Podcast, we’re bringing you an excerpt from the Future Telling Webinar series, STEM Read’s collaboration with NIU’s University Libraries.
STEM Read Director Gillian King-Cargile (@gkingcargile) talks to experts in history and speculative fiction to hear how pandemics have shaped art and how this turbulent moment in world history is transforming the future of publishing and the genre. Speakers include Valerie Garver (Professor of History, Northern Illinois University), Lynne M. Thomas (Hugo Award Winning Publisher and Editor of Uncanny Magazine), Mary Robinette Kowal (Award Winning Author of the Lady Astronauts Series, President of the Board of the Science Fiction and Fantasy Writers of America), and Maurice Broaddus (Community Activist and Author of Pimp My Airship and The Usual Suspects).
Northern Illinois University’s?STEM Read is part of the?NIU STEAM?family of programs that explore science, technology, engineering, the arts, and math. Find more great books, lesson plans, and resources at?stemread.com.
The STEM Read Podcast is produced in collaboration with WNIJ.
- Learn more about Future Telling and see all of our webinars at go.niu.edu/futuretelling.
- Valerie Garver
- The Decameron by Giovanni Boccaccio
- The Black Death
- The Spanish Flu of 1918
- The Dance of Death or Danse Macabre
- The Dance of Death in the Middle Ages by Elina Gertsman
- Collina Strata Designer Masks
- Quilters Making Masks
- Names Project AIDs Memorial Quilt Interactive Website
- Sylvia Hernandez – Master Quilter “On Pins and Needles”
- Lynne M. Thomas
- Uncanny Magazine
- Rare Books and Manuscript Library, University of Illinois
- Mary Robinette Kowal
- Science Fiction and Fantasy Writers of America (SFWA)
- NIU’s Founders Memorial Library is home to SFWA’s Archives and other rare science fiction collections
- Read The Lady Astronauts Series – The Calculating Stars, The Fated Sky, The Relentless Moon
- Maurice Broaddus
- Maurice is the Resident Afrofuturist at the KHEPRW Institute
- Read Maurice’s books, including The Usual Suspects and Pimp My Airship
- Read his story “The Ache of Home” in Uncanny Magazine
- “The act of dreaming of ourselves in the future is an act of resistance.” - Tananarive Due
- The Nebula Conference is Ongoing! Explore more online offerings from SFWA
- Find Mary Robinette’s drop-in writing times and upcoming writing classes on her Events page.
- The Writing Excuses Podcast
- “How Did the French Revolution affect England?”
- Stealing Worlds by Karl Schroeder
- This was only half of the conversation! Check out the full video interviews and our other past Future Telling Webinars
- Learn more and Register for Upcoming Future Telling Events