Episode 13: Chainsaws and Wedding Cake with Lex Thomas
Happy Halloween! On this spooky edition of the STEM Read Podcast Gillian and Kristin sit down with Lex Hrabe and Thomas Voorhies, who write the popular Quarantine book series as Lex Thomas (@LexThomasAuthor). We’ll explore using horror books in the classroom and talk learning, writing, teaching, and most importantly, horror-movie binging. Grab a bowl of candy and kick back for this very special episode.
Northern Illinois University’s STEM Read is part of the NIU STEAM family of programs that explore science, technology, engineering, the arts, and math. Find more great books, lesson plans, and resources at stemread.com.
The STEM Read Podcast is produced in collaboration with WNIJ.
Notes & External Links
· Learn more about Lex Thomas
· Quarantine: The Loners by Lex Thomas
· Read Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark…If you dare!
· “Why Do We Love Horror” by Benjamin Bailey from Nerdist.com
· Shaun of the Dead directed by Edgar Wright
· Lord of the Flies by William Golding
· The Breakfast Club directed by John Hughes
· Dungeons and Dragons designed by Gary Gygax and Dave Arneson
· Watch our “food drop” (No children were harmed, one pair of pants were ripped)
· The Saints by Lex Thomas
· The Burnouts by Lex Thomas
· The Giant by Lex Thomas
· More about The Lawnmower Man short story by Stephen King
· More about the weird 90’s film adaptation of The Lawnmower Man
· Endurance: Shackleton’s Incredible Voyage by Alfred Lansing
· Beast by Peter Benchley
· Evil Dead 2 directed by Sam Raimi
· Mandy directed by Panos Cosmatos
· Beyond the Black Rainbow directed by Panos Cosmatos
· Burning Bright directed by Carlos Brooks
· Raw directed by Julia Ducourna
· Recover from #31HorrorFilms31Days by writing your own novel in November
· We Sold Our Souls by Grady Hendrix
· This Body’s Not Big Enough for the Both of Us by Edgar Cantero
· Return to Fear Street by R.L. Stine – How amazing are those covers?!
· Shadow House and other spooky kids’ books by Dan Poblocki