Rockford police detectives say they didn’t find evidence of foul play in the deaths of two Rockford University students last weekend.
The two died in the garage of their off-campus apartment. Preliminary autopsy results show they died from carbon monoxide poisoning. Police say they believe the deaths were accidental.
Mohammed Mufti and Amjad Mulkhair were found dead Saturday. They were both from Saudi Arabia and first-year students at Rockford University.
Police officers responding to a call for a death investigation Saturday night reported they could smell vehicle exhaust coming from a closed garage. They found Mufti and Mulkhair in the garage with a running vehicle.
Rockford University President Eric Fulcomer issued a statement expressing condolences to the families of the students. He said “It is a tragic loss that is not easy to understand and affects the entire campus, particularly our international students who face unique circumstances in studying far away from their homes and families. A dedicated team is working closely with our students and broader campus community to offer help and resources to all who need assistance during this difficult time.”