Rockford Casino Proposal Ready For Illinois Gaming Board

Oct 14, 2019

Conceptual photo of the Hard Rock Casino's entrance.
Credit Hard Rock International/City of Rockford

Last week, the Rockford City Council voted 11-to-1 (with one abstention) in favor of certifying Hard Rock’s plan to the Illinois Gaming Board. Hard Rock edged out two alternative casino proposals. 

The Gaming Board has up to a year from when it receives the proposal to decide whether to grant a casino license to Hard Rock. If they do, Mayor Tom McNamara says Hard Rock will first open a temporary casino site at Giovanni’s Restaurant and Convention Center.

"I would say you have about 90 to 180 days and you will have that temporary facility up and running," he said.

From there, McNamara says the new casino will have immediate and continuing economic benefits.

“1200 construction jobs, 800 permanent jobs with an average salary of $51,980. It’s a great development for our city. We’re excited of the more than $300 million development," he said.

If and when the temporary facility is built, Hard Rock would then build a permanent casino at the former site of the Clock Tower Resort near Interstate 90.