Erik Czerwin, language arts & literature teacher at Rockford's Guilford High School, sits down with host Peter Medlin for a wide-ranging discussion of the top education issues of 2019 and what they'll be looking at in 2020.
They talk about everything from local stories like:
- The Rockford Public Schools' ransomware attack and how it pulled teaching back 20 years
- Dealing with Guilford's lack of air conditioning & heat
- How Trauma-informed instruction transformed his teaching style
And they also go in-depth on broader, state and national issues such as:
- The severe teacher shortage in Illinois
- The war on smartphones in the classroom
- Why there has been a nationwide surge in teacher strikes
- How the perception of teaching and education has changed
And they make sure to talk a bit about the literary classics he loves to teach and the book Erik wrote about chess!
Know a teacher in your life who you think should be featured on the show? Send your nominations to email@example.com. While you're there, tell us about an education story or topic we should cover on Teachers' Lounge. Also, subscribe to us and leave a rating wherever it is you listen to the show!
Educator(s) in this episode:
Our show's theme music is from the northern Illinois-based band "Kindoves" and their songs "Popn," "Origins" and "Quiche." You can find more of their music on their Soundcloud page. You can also listen to the episode of WNIJ's own "Sessions from Studio A" where they were featured.
Teachers! People who know teachers! People with stories about teachers! Send us an email and be part of the show! Also, send us your topic recommendations: